Review Guide: Bones Part One
- Terminology - osteoclasts, osteoblasts
- Endochondrial Ossification.
a. Know how a bone forms from cartilage
b. Know where primary and secondary ossification centers are located.
c. Know what the epiphyseal plate is
Know 3 major factors affecting bone growth
- Terms - Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Hypertrophy, Atrophy, Growth Hormone, Gigantism, Dwarfism
Be able to label the parts of a Haversian System from a diagram.
- Know the four major parts and functions of a Haversian system
- Know the 5 major functions of the skeletal system
- Be able to describe how to tell the difference between a male and female skeleton.
- Know the five different kinds of bones and examples of each
Structure of a long bone:
- Be able to label a diagram for the following parts and know the function of each: Diaphysis, Epiphyses, Medullary Cavity, Periosteum, Endosteum, Yellow Marrow, Red Marrow, Spongy Bone, Compact Bone, Articular Cartilage
- Know the function and location of Red and Yellow Marrow in the human body.
- Know the 3 different types of blood cells that can be made by red marrow (both common name and scientific name)
- Know a couple of bone marrow diseases, cures and treatments.
- Depressions and Projections (know definition and major area where one is found)
a. Foramen, fossa, sulcus, meatus, fissure, sinus
b. Condyle, tuberosity, tubercle, trochanter, head, crest, spine