2nd Semester Review Guide
Know the diagram of a neuron
- Dendrites, Soma, Myelin Sheath, Axon, Nodes of Ranvier
- Know the common function of the 12 cranial nerves
Know the different parts of the brain and their function
- Cerebrum, Cerebellum, Pons, Medulla, Gyri, Sulci, Medulla Oblongata
Other terms to know:
- Sodium ions, Synaptic cleft, CNS, PNS, Neurotransmitters
Terms to know:
- Endocrine Gland, Exocrine gland, hormone, tropic hormone, positive feedback, negative feedback, hypersecretion, hyposecretion, prostaglandin, goiter
- Know the glands of the endocrine system and the major hormones they produce.
- Know the functions of hormones in the body.
Blood & Circulatory System
Terms to know:
- Leukocytes, Erythrocytes, Thrombocytes, Pernicious Anemia, Iron Anemia, Polycythemia, Sickle Cell Anemia, Thrombus, Embolus, Antigen, Antibody, Rh factor, Blood types and how to determine them.
- More terms to know: Veins, Arteries, Artioles, Venules, Capillaries, Sphygmomanometer, Myocardial Infarction, Stroke (CVA), Hemorrhage
- Diagram - Know the different parts of the eye
- Terms/Functions to know - Cornea, Iris, Lens, Pupil, Aqueous and Vitreous Humor, Sclera, Choroid Layer, Retina, Rods, Cones, Optic Nerve, Cataracts, Emmetropia, Glaucoma, Astigmatism
Diagram - Know the parts of the respiratory system
- Nasal Cavity, Pharynx, Larynx, Epiglottis, Trachea, Primary Bronchi, Bronchioles, Alveoli, Diaphragm
- Terms to know - Apnea, Emphysema, Bronchitis, Asthma, COPD, Tuberculosis, Lung cancer
- Know the function of cilia and mucous in the respiratory system.
- Know why cartilage rings are found in the trachea.
Diagram - Know the major structures of the digestive system.
- Oral cavity, esophagus, stomach, small intestines, large intestines, pancreas, gall bladder and liver
- Know the functions of each of the structures above
- Terms to know - Mastication, Defecation, Uvula, Epiglottis, Constipation, Diarrhea, Peristalsis, Incisors, Canines (Cuspids), Premolars (bicuspids), Molars (tricuspids), Chyme, Sodium bicarbonate, bile